Thursday, January 20, 2011

Charles Barkley


My co-pilot in life...his time is getting short but he will live forever in my heart.

Charlie has been my constant companion for the last 14 years but it has come time to make a hard decision. He is deaf (damned ticks and Anaplasmosis!!) and goin' blind. And bein' active all his life has led to a lot of arthritis and stiff joints.

I can't imagine life without him...we have explored every back road and mountain around central AZ and a lot in ID and MT. We have camped, hiked, swam, gotten hot, gotten cold, probably gotten lost a time or two, hunted animals, ran from cats, been rained on, been snowed on, enjoyed many hours by a warm fire-talking secrets, gone on road trips, lived in AZ, ID, MT and OK, been stuck in the mud, snow, rained in, snowed in, laughed and cried (yes dogs can smile and laugh!!) together, enjoyed our new babies together...all 4 of them, grieved the loss of Nana together, been confused and happy/content together...I really can't put into words what Charlie means to me...as I sit here writing this and tearing up...

But it has come to a point where I need to weigh his quality of life against his health. That is one of the hardest parts about owning an animal...or one owning you for that matter!! When is he not enjoying life anymore and just in pain and confusion?

I still take him for rides...he got to ride shot-gun back in the day...then he was moved to the backseat when Brandon arrived and then with all the babies, he was finally moved out and left at home...but talk about a dog doin' it in style!!! He has never once showed a bit of jealousy at all. And he is attached to me like glue...well, most, if not all, animals are attracted to me...I wish people were:O) Nahhh,not really!!!

We will see how the summer goes but I think his time is limited and by next winter, he will be over the Rainbow Bridge...with my Nana and Star and other fur babies/loved one's I've lost.

Find someone you love today and hug them tight and tell them you love them...time takes forever to be so short...