...and YUCK!!! More then half of the 33 eggs we found yesterday were developing fetus'. We've been huntin' the egg nest/pile down for a while now and yesterday while we were out lookin' for Lefty the bunny (long story:O) in all the weeds, we found a big nest. We always check the eggs before cookin' and this mornin' Montanna is makin' fried eggs and the last one even had legs.
I figure that with the warm, humid weather and with so many hens layin' in the pile and movin'/rotatin' them, that they were incubating. I really feel bad but what could I do. The eggs have been in the frig since last night, so they are too cold and probably dead.
I just wish the damned hens would lay in one spot!
The garden is comin' a long nicely, though it has been pretty hot and I've had to water. I still need to cut the barrels to get some water collected to gravity feed the plants around here. Seems too many projects and not enough cool time to do it:O)
It has been wonderful seein' all the wildflowers and plants comin' up in the yard. This is the first season the horses and goats haven't been able to pasture all over. We have Crape Myrtles too! I haven't identified all of the plants that are around here. I need to get a local book on flora in the area. Blackberries should be ready by the end of this month...YUMMY!!! I can't wait. I plan to freeze a lot and make jelly with a lot too.
We did receive our 1/4 beef over the weekend and had some great steaks on Monday. It will take a little time to get used to the taste for me. It has a different twang to it...like grass or venison. It's really good though and nice to know the beef is healthy we are eating.
I need to go and get things done this mornin'. I have to go to the grocery store...with all 4 kiddos...lucky me:O)
Have a great day and give a few thoughts to those effected by the tornado last night...Mother Nature seems mad...