Friday, August 26, 2011

Oven canning

Here is a website I came across while lookin' for more info on oven cannin'. Which I just read about for the first time in the newest addition of Countryside magazine.
Home canning tips

The currant issue I have is the Sep/Oct one and it talks about oven canning your dry goods are a way to preserve them for years. This lady talked of some that were over 20 years old and still fresh and good. It's a great day to keep the derned bugs outta the stuff as I'm learnin' is a big issue here.

Heat the oven to 200 degrees and put a cookie sheet in the oven also. Start fillin' gallon, quart and pint jars with dry foods and then fill the cookie sheet up. Let them stay in the oven for an hour and then use a wet paper towel to wet the rim, put a lid and ring on and close. Be sure to use a pot holder or towel to remove the jars and they will be hot. Set aside on a kitchen towel until cooled off. Store in the pantry.

I need to get off here so I can help Emmah cut up flash cards we copied off the internet for the boys. We are pasting them onto construction paper. I hope they get some good use out of them. Emmah has fun *teaching* the boys:O)

Have a great weekend!