America’s everyday children are something that I think about quite often. Who are they? They are the kids in the neighborhood that you might see or come into contact with by your children or other means.
I pray for these babies. I pray for the children who’s parents may not quite give the damn they should. I pray for the babies who suffer for no good reason other then the fact their parents don’t know better. I pray for the babies that their parents don’t give a damn. I pray for the babies that are just there.
I am having a hard time with the children I have come to know and love in the neighborhood and their parents/parent who just seem to get through life any way they know how…no matter what it means for their children. I just want to take all these precious babies home with me and try to give them a homelife that they have never seen or known. And by babies I mean all children that need the extra time that drugs and every day poverty doesn’t allow.
Our daughters’ best friend’s mom has become a friend of mine. I really don’t befriend a lot of people just because people are weird! I limit who I call friends. But for some reason this lady just seems to draw me in and I really like her. She’s a tweeter (i.e. she does speed). And she was very upfront about this, though I already knew and I’m not a druggy, as my Nana would say, but something about this lady really draws me in. And I think the world of her daughter and son. They are great kiddos!!!
I have really been thinkin’ lately about our American children. I don’t really mean to offend but it seems the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. I am so frustrated by how *The American Dream* seems to be only for a select few. When I drive to the damned Wal-fart I see the families on their worn down front porches, missing too many teeth to count, waving as I pass by while their grandbabies play in the dirt with beautiful smiles on their faces and wonderful blonde curls and I wonder why our society let them down. Why is it fair that they can never realize more? Why do they have to settle for never seeing their dreams come true? Why are their dreams just pipe dreams and not a possible reality? How can I be happy in my meager, wonderful, special life when there are families out there that will never see a doctor? Never know what it is like to give your children the Christmas they always wanted…to take your beautiful children to a movie that hasn’t been out for months…to take a vacation that isn’t in the next town over…to eat the veggies that mom can’t afford at the store ever…to buy clothes that didn’t come from a thrift store (though I LOVE me some cheap ass clothes!!!!)…to go on a field trip at school? I pray for these families.
Hope is a beautiful thing. It’s free. Anyone can do it. And it is something that has darkened our *free* world into something dark and unrecognizable. It breaks my heart and soul to know that more people/families then not will have to suffer the effects of being poor, being born into poverty and never knowing/hoping for or learning to get/live better. Isn’t that what brought our ancestors here? The hope of a better life? The promise of whorshipin’ how we want and realizing our utmost dreams? What happened to that? When did we trade in our visions of a better life for just settling? Why is that acceptable? When did that become acceptable? When did that become a reality for so many livin’ in the country of dreams coming true?
I remember as a teenager wondering why technology was far more advanced then humanity. I want to take every child into my home and show them that life isn’t always about money. That dad’s can be great people too. That moms can take part in their lives and mean it. That someone really cares what happens to them and where they aim their radars in life. To tell them that they are of the utmost importance and we the people, are watching, hoping and prayin’ for the best for our young generation. Sometimes I wish I was born a hundred years earlier, when life was more simple and people cared about their neighbors and what they did.
Okay, it is very late and I need to get some sleep as Stink Bug still thinks he needs to see his mama 3 times a night, though I would settle for a kiss good night and a kiss good mornin’ instead. Redneck and I want to be foster parents so look forward to updates on what child is staying with us…I want to take then ALL home, kwim?
I wish all the daddy’s out there a happy belated Father’s Day and encourage you to make an effort to just be there for your children…enjoy them while you got’um and lead them into a dream realizin’. I never had a dad but I think it would have been pretty groovy to have one!
O-we have water and septic hooked up to the house and we are just waiting for the electric and that’s due to be in by Wednesday at the soonest…don’t hurry now:O) More updates to come…
Redneck tip of the day:…the best things in life are free…so how can you better your neighborhood?