Sunday, March 11, 2012

Gettin' a lot done on the farm-October 2, 2009

Things have been moving along pretty well on the homestead. With Redneck working 50+ hour weeks, it leaves little time for family and the ranch but we are making it.

When my fil moved to the land, it hadn’t been touched or seen daylight for over 75 years. That is why we have had such a time with all the bugs and pests. But with every tree that is downed, a little more sunlight gets in and a lot of the bugs leave. I am really praying for a hard freeze this winter to kill off all the dormant bugs. The ticks have been far too bad the last few years without a freeze. I’ve had so many ticks and chiggers that I always have some sort of skin irritation going on. Princess just go over a HUGE spider bite that had so much yucky crap in there, we thought it might be staph. It’s finally on the mend now, thankfully.

O-I finally got my Frannie the goat bred…hopefully. She spent about 5-6 weeks at a cousins house with a buck. They never saw her get bred but she isn’t in season anymore. So, here’s hoping for a February kid or twins!!! It is sooo relaxing to me to milk the goat and listen and be one with nature.

The boys (horses) have been staying at our house too and I couldn’t be happier. Redneck got us some sod from work and we layed it in the front yard to have a little grass to go with our acres of just cleared off land/dirt. So, when the horses started spending their days sleeping on our grass I didn’t have the heart to make them leave. And there is nothin’ sweeter then sittin’ on the porch brushin’ my boys or watchin’ Choncho make eyes at himself in the window wondering who that handsome guy is…lol!!

I have also gotten pretty handy on the tractor. I have a gigantic love for tractors and can’t wait to have one of our own. Since I don’t use the chainsaw to cut the trees, I use the tractor to move them, rake and brushhog. We have every kind of tree you can imagine and so much greenery, including wild grapes that we’ve been told are poisonious but I’m still trying to find out what kind they are. Now that we’re going into fall/winter, the bugs and pests will be gone and we can do more exploring on the land.

We’re going to visit a cousin tomorrow who’s house and property is like stepping back in time. There is an old well that was built by a mason over 100 years ago and arrowheads everywhere. We are excited!! I will take pictures and post them here. We’re also going to the Deer Festival tomorrow and I’ll be entering Stinker Bug into the *Cutest Camo Kid* contest with his camo diaper and camo sweatshirt…wish us luck.

Well, that is a little of what’s going on here. I still miss my side of the family in AZ and spend most days by myself but it truly is beautiful out here and we are lucky to have the opportunity to take virgin land and turn it into what we want. And I’m not sure if I posted it here or not but the orphaned fawn we rescued found a doe and fawn to hook up with and now roams the property. We saw the 3 of them the other day and I called out the *Buck, buck ,BUCKY* holler I had for him and I’ll be damned if he didn’t stop and look at me while his brother and mom ran off. He looked at me and then was gone. What a treasure that is!!!

I guess I will go for now. Thanks again for keeping up with me. I hope to in the future get a little more into my views of the world around us. One thing for sure…you can bet your sweet boppy NO ONE here will be getting ANY flu shots or H1N1 shots…HELL NO!!! And I am really wondering what is gonna happen with everyone getting all the flu vacs…I WILL NOT be spoon fed any bullshite.

Redneck tip of the day: Learn something new everyday and pass it on!!