Thursday, February 3, 2011

Sad day on the homestead...long overdue post

Well, that is the best picture I have of him...we lost Bear last week. Some dumbass decided to put up some snare traps for the coyotes around here but never told us. Brandon came home from work last week for lunch to find his dads dog caught in a trap and totally freakin' out, with the county guys tryin to get him free. Brandon got him free and he is just fine, thank goodness.

Brandon found 4 more traps and took them down...all within an 1/8 mile of the house...if that.

Next mornin', no Bear, though we hear him bark at the critters all night. After a thorough search of the area, we found at least 7 more traps and I'm sure we didn't find them all.

We haven't seen Bear since last Wednesday...just a very sad time at the farm right now. And Hog is just beside himself without his buddy. Bear was an awesome dog and one that will be very hard to replace.

I have gotten over most of my anger but still...why in the HELL do you have to lazy hunt right next to our house and property and THEN not even have the respect to tell us?? Just doesn't make sense to me...And a neighbor rancher said he probably got caught in the trap and they shot him and hauled him off...almost too much to comprehend...poor guy.

Now we need to find another pup and we just had some family members give away a bunch of Pyrenees pups...figures.

And the weather has really been a crapper!!! I hope everyone out there is surviving the snow/rain/sleet/ice and wind without much hardship. We still have power, though the heating bill will probably be around $450...YUCK!!! And I have had a house full of cabin fever kiddos with school bein' out all week. Not to mention the cold that has travelled around here.
I have needed a bunch of coffee this week:O)
I hope it has been a good week so far for ya'll and I pray the weather makes us through this last batch of winter before a wonderful burgeoning of spring! I am finishing up my orders for plants, seeds, trees and flowers and will post what I get...really excited about the fruit cocktail trees:O)

Take care and stay warm...
I will never forget you Bear...God speed...