I watched a documentary yesterday called "Born Into Brothels" by Ross Kauffman and Zana Briski, and was just blown away. I never even imagined the living conditions and just the every day lives of these children and horrible they could be. I can't comprehend how a mother or father could sell their children or put them "in the line".
I also had the pleasure of seeing "Capitalism:A Love Story" and quite frankly, I am so embarrassed by this country...it almost makes me sick.
I've never really talked about my political views on here but it has gotten to the point where I just can't be quiet anymore. Watching the documentary and hearin' about goin' to war in Libya really just make it worse. And hearin' the words of the news this mornin' that we need to get over there and keep our interest in oil covered. Are you farkin' kiddin' me??? Brandon told me that he heard we don't even use that type of oil but I haven't done the research on it.
It makes me sick to think this country cares more about oil interest then basic human rights, something that should be a given, TO EVERYONE!!! And what about the hungry, homeless, destitute in our country??? I HATE WAR!!!!
The children in Calcutta represent a *normal* that is just unbearable. Why in the world today are people still fighting (or quietly suffering) to have basic needs and rights available to them? The billions of dollars spent on war for what?? The thousands of military members that get injured or even die...WHY??? The families that suffer all over...for what??? So someone else can benefit...at the cost of what or whomever?
And did you know in this wonderful, free country large companies can take out insurance policies on it's associates without the employee knowing? Yep, how is that for capitalism?
I just really can't wrap my mind around how things are run and done in America. What happened? Most of the time we don't watch the news due to how dismal it seems anymore. But when we do, I just think *to hell in a handbasket* and wonder how bad it will get.
Now, I get all rilled up but there are always positive things to come from everything. And there are people all across the world doin' wonderful things for deserving people...so all hope is not lost. I do fear we as a nation have lost our *help thy neighbor* type thinking, though a lot of people are gettin' back to the basics and I know, like grass, it will spread. I just wish we had a little more freedom to choose how we do live and not have so many big companies and laws henderin' our progress (think GM seeds, raw dairy consumption, etc) and lives.
Wow...that was a lot and a little deep. I do strongly encourage you to watch to documentary on the red light district and check out the wonderful updates!
I am peaceful at heart and do wish that silly wish of peace on earth...I do. I pray people become softer and think of others more and themselves less. That the daily grind for the almighty dollar would become less a priority and spending time with your family and teaching them and learning from them more important.
I just heard the pitter-patter of Little Man's feet...he is awake and off 'n runnin'! Gotta go. Have a great Tuesday and stop to smell a flower...then pick it and give it to someone needing something nice today.